Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My new camera

A while ago, I mentioned that I was looking for a new camera. Well, after hours of painstaking research - trawling through websites looking at numerous reviews of different cameras - I finally made my decision. Based on the reviews, it looked like the Canon Digital Ixus 950 was my best bet. All the reviews were positive and generally indicated that it was a very good camera.

So, armed with this knowledge, I hit the streets to check the street price in HK. Naturally, I brought my wife along with me as she is better at negotiating for discounts than I am.

We wander into the electronics store and ask to see the camera. The salesmen grabs the model off the shelf and plonks it down onto the counter in front of me. Then he opens his mouth and proves to me that he is an expert salesman.

How? In the 2 seconds it took for him to grab the camera, he was able to size us up perfectly. He knew exactly who was the party he needed to make the sale to. Furthermore, he knew exactly how to make a sale.

After plonking down the Ixus 950 in front of me, he whips out the Casio Exilim and turns to my wife. Launching into a spiel about how the camera is the thinnest camera in the world and how it comes in different colors etc etc. I type etc etc here as this is the only thing which my wife can remember from that conversation. At this point, she had already been sold (especially by the nice burgundy color of the Exilim!).

We walked out of that electronics store with the Casio Exilim. As I said, an expert salesman.


PS I am off to Beijing tomorrow so may not be able to post for the rest of this week. According to a friend of mine in BJ, my blog is now blocked in BJ! I guess I should have been more discreet in my criticisms of the Chinese government!

Update - I just realised. This is my 100th post! Woot Woot!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

actually i now can access your blog even in office. I think the firm removed the filter against blogs.