Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A quick intermission on the RIAA

I know I promised a stack of photos and updates on Gerry in celebration of his birthday - but I just had to insert a quick intermission to comment on this article. The incident in question happened in early December although I only just found out about it. Also, despite how outrageous it sounds, I'm assuming the article is genuine as it isn't April 1.

Basically, the RIAA is suing someone in the US for copying music from a CD onto his computer. The RIAA considers this to be stealing. The key quote from the Washington Post in this case is the following - "the industry maintains that it is illegal for someone who has legally purchased a CD to transfer that music into his computer".

You may recall in the past I said that I extremely dislike the US music industry - in particular the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). Its crap like this that helps explain why.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I have an ipod nano and that I copy music from my legally purchased CDs onto my PC. In other words, I am a criminal in the eyes of the RIAA.

Well, the RIAA can kiss my @55.

No comments: