Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Sony Rootkit Disaster

For those of you who used to purchase Sony BMG CDs, you probably know all about the Rootkit disaster. This was the incident where Sony BMG decided it was a good idea to illegally install spyware and rootkit software on your PC via their music CDs. And yes, I am justified in calling it a disaster in view of the subsequent legal tussle which Sony BMG got involved in.

Anyway, if you are interested in this case, you might want to check out this PDF link which goes into a bit more detail about the whole incident. Its a very long article and I'm still reading it myself. However, its quite good in that its not written in legalese.


For the avoidance of doubt, I think Sony BMG are frigging idiots to pull something like this and I hope that the people responsible burn badly for it. The music industry is already suffering badly from dropping CD sales. Stunts like this simply discourage people from buying CDs which makes the problem even worse.

Quite frankly, considering all the various shit that the music industry in the US is doing (I'm looking at you - RIAA), I hope that the entire industry in the US crashes and burns. Hopefully, at that stage, we can get something decent to replace it...

No comments: