Friday, October 19, 2007

Do I really need a new laptop?

I gave a lot of thought as to whether to post this or not. The problem is that this post will make me look like an idiot. On the other hand, everyone knows I'm an idiot anyway - so I decided to go ahead and post.

Anyway, a couple of days ago, I mentioned that I was looking for a new PC - primarily because the fans on my desktop are so noisy. However, since making that post, my desktop has been acting very temperamental. After switching it on, it would automatically switch itself off after 10-15 minutes. At first, I thought that maybe it was upset that I was going to replace it with a new sexier laptop (reminder to self - in future, make any blog posts about replacing my desktop from a different PC).

However, I soon remembered that I had a similar problem to this before. Many months ago, my PC was also switching itself off as soon as I ran any software. In fact, I even blogged about it. That's right - it was a recurrence of my CPU overheating problem. Actually, I shouldn't say recurrence as I never actually got around to fixing my PC last time. After a while, the problem disappeared so I just forgot about it - till now.

Anyway, as the PC was now completely unusable, I took it to a PC repair shop (I went back to the shop which built the PC as the owner is very trustworthy). I take it in and the guy opens up the PC, takes one look and says that the problem is that my CPU fan is caked in dust. I had a look for myself and sure enough - the CPU fan was caked in dust. Apparently, all I needed to do was open up the PC and vacuum up the dust off the CPU fan. So heading back home in shame, I promptly did as he suggested.

As you can see from this blog post, my PC is now working again. Furthermore, the fan is a lot quieter as well (as the CPU was overheating, the fan must have been going into overdrive hence the noise). Obviously, its not as quiet as a laptop PC - but it may be quiet enough to not disturb the missus when she's working.

Which means that I may not need to buy a new PC after all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Idiot....

:)

Another, cheaper suggestion in case the missus is still complaining....buy her a set of earmuffs...

:) :> :o :p ;)

Jokemeister said...

earmuffs - not a bad idea. Even if she doesn't wear them, I can!

Jokemeister said...

Well - so much for that idea.

The PC is still too loud - or rather the keyboard is too loud. I was tapping away at the keyboard (working on this blog incidentally) when she complained that the keyboard was too loud.

Unfortunately, earmuffs won't help as she was on a conference call at the time.

Anonymous said...

Oh well, in that case I think you have no other option...


...than to spend your gaming time on the Xbox in the living room

:)

Bro

Jokemeister said...

hehe - can't disagree with that. As I was banned from using the PC, I jumped on Halo 3 and picked up some more achievements (I'm such an achievement whore!).