Monday, October 8, 2007

Badminton skill (or lack thereof!)

I'm just back from playing badminton at my club. Hold on, I hear you say! Doesn't Jokemeister normally play badminton on Tuesdays? Well you observant chipmunks - you are right! I do normally play on Tuesdays.

However, I need to fly to Shanghai tomorrow which means I can't play. Turns out (and I wish I knew this before) that the club will allow me to switch to a different day of the week on an ad hoc basis provided that there is enough room on the other day. Luckily for me, there was a spare slot in today's session so I played today instead.

Kind of strange feeling after playing today. Normally, for badminton players, I classify them into 2 groups. The first group are people who play regularly (either currently or in the past). The other group are people who only play occasionally for fun.

I myself am in the first group and I can easily beat people in the second group (no surprise since I do play regularly). However, whenever I have played people in the first group, I have always been one of the worst players in the group. I've never had a problem with this - to be honest, I'm not exactly the sporty type and I've always been bad at sports. For example, back in University, my friends would generally beat me. When I first came to HK and played with my uncles and their friends - they would all beat me. Even in the group I currently play with on Tuesday, there are only a couple of people who are worse than me.

However, in todays group, I was actually one of the better players - which really surprised me. My partner wasn't very good (I'm quite confident in saying that I'm better than her) and after we won our first game, we were up against 2 guys. The first thing my partner says is "shit, they're good". However, although they beat us, the final score was 11-8. Those 2 guys then managed to win another 2 games and stay on the court so that we were up against them again. Again, we only lost 11-8. Both matches were quite close (and good fun!).

As a kid in PE class, I was always the last kid picked (can you hear the violins?). I'm not used to being one of the better players in a group. As I said - it feels kinda strange.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeh Si - Mon, (laugh), still can't get used to calling you that. I've finally managed to check out your blog.

You're right. You used to be shite at badminton for years ! ;) You've managed to improve a lot when you went back to HK. Well done !!!!

Tommy (not really anonymous)

Anonymous said...

I don't believe there's been much advancement....unless you mean in age.....and senility....

Jas

Jokemeister said...

Hey Tommy - welcome to the 21st century! :p

One thing I have to admit - age is really starting to rear its ugly head. I've always been unfit, but nowadays it takes ages for me to recover from a game of badminton.

Sad really.
:(

Anonymous said...

Hey talking about old age, I don't even recover anymore....I'm just in less pain with a bit of rest. Have to quit soon but not yet...not yet...maybe after I kick your ass next time I'm in H.K.!!!!

Jas

Jokemeister said...

Ha - bring it on!

Anytime, anywhere!

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's ON now! I just need to plan my next trip to HK. I'll think I'll bill it as the battle the bulge....ing waistlines!

Jas