Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Looking for a Laptop

Have any of you used an Apple Mac?

The reason I'm asking is that I am looking to buy a laptop. Currently, I use a desktop PC which is placed in our study and takes up most of the desk. As the PC is quite powerful, the cooling fans on the PC are also quite noisy. In fact, they are so noisy that the missus is complaining that they stop her from thinking (the study doubles as our home office and is where she spends her time at home when she is working from home).

As a result of the noise, I am now basically banned from turning on my PC if the missus is working from home. Unfortunately, the missus is a workaholic - so this basically equates to a ban on turning on my PC if the missus is at home!!

I'm sure you will agree that this is an unacceptable state of affairs! So what to do? As I firmly believe that all problems can be solved by throwing money at them, I have decided to buy a new laptop. :p

The question is - do I buy a PC or an Apple Mac?

I have heard lots of good stuff about the Apple Mac. In fact, I used to use an Apple Mac waaay back in secondary school. However, I have never before considered buying an Apple Mac simply because the gaming software on an Apple Mac is a joke. Seriously - if you say the words "Mac gaming" to any serious gamer, they will just collapse and rofl. Being a hardcore gamer myself, I naturally always went with the PC.

However, with Apple using Intel processors and the release of Bootcamp on the Apple Mac, the situation is not so clear anymore. Bootcamp is basically a software which allows Macs to either boot up using Mac OS or using Windows. In theory, I could use the Mac OS for normal stuff and then boot up in Windows if I wanted to play some PC games. Now granted, Apple Mac hardware isn't as customisable as PCs and may be slightly more expensive (you are paying a premium for the Apple brand of course). Also, I would need to buy a separate copy of Windows. However, it seems like I can get the best of both worlds by buying an Apple Mac.

Which, to be honest, sounds too good to be true.

So my question is - are any of my readers using an Apple Mac? Does anyone have experience with using Bootcamp to run PC games? Am I missing anything else from this equation?

No comments: