Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm dieting (no, really)

I went to the hospital recently to do a checkup. One of those "annual" things except that I never do them annually. In fact, I never do them full stop (this was my first ever checkup)!

As expected, my level of cholesterol and fat completed freaked out the doctor. After the requisite widening of eyes in shock and double checking to make sure she read my weight right, the first thing the doctor did was to look at me and say "umm ...". Just in case you didn't know, this is a very bad sign as it means that the news is so bad, the doctor has to think for a while before knowing how to break it to you.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is that I need to get my weight down to 66kg which is the upper weight limit for a "normal" guy my height. Any higher than 66kg means that I am overweight (and I'm not even gonna go into what category my actual weight puts me in!). And before you ask, no I don't recall the last time my weight was 66kg - it was too long ago.

So I am on a diet. Again. Except this time, I mean it! So far, in the last week, I've been slowly cutting down my amount of meat intake. My idea is to slowly cut back the amount of meat I eat (not including fish in this which apparently has essential omega 3 fatty acids!) and then slowly cut down the total amount I eat. At the same time, I intend to start doing more exercise (went to the gym today!).

To be honest, I have no idea if I can ever hit 66kg. That number is so far away at the moment that it seems like an impossible dream. Still, for the sake of my doctors sanity, I at least have to give the pretense that I am trying to achieve that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't you try the "I'm not fat, just big boned" excuse?

Anyway - I presume the doc is using the Asian BMI where you are supposed to be max 21. I can't see any other way to get your required 66kg limit.

Personally I think this is bull****. If I work out what weight I'd need to get a BMI of 21, I'd have to be 67kg.

Lets just say I ain't, and when I was (quite a few years ago) everyone said I was too thin.

I'd aim for a BMI of 23 - try that and see what the required weight is.

Bro

Jokemeister said...

Considering how much taller than me you are, I can't imagine what you would look like at 67kg. Besides, the BMI of 21 is prob the middle number rather than the range at which you are considered normal weight.

Anyway, the sad thing is that 66kg does give me a BMI of 23. What can I say - short and fat!