Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Fathers Day

As I'm sure most of you are aware, Father's Day has just passed (at the weekend). To be honest, I don't normally pay any attention to these kinds of events - however, something happened this weekend which may just change my perspective forever. And, as with everything wonderful in my life recently, it involves Gerry.

Sarah and I have what you would call a routine for getting Gerry in the car. Basically, Sarah keeps an eye on him while he runs around. Meanwhile, I get the toddler seat ready for him. When I'm ready, I signal Sarah and she tells Gerry to come to me at which point I put him in the toddler seat and buckle him in.

Gerry obviously doesn't always do what we tell him. And this weekend, as usual, he takes one look at me and decides that he would prefer to keep running around. Undeterred, I pull out my secret weapon - I hold my arms out.

This is the signal that if he runs to me now, I will hoist him high into the air (which he enjoys very much). At the same time, I give him one of my patented daddy smiles. Not surprisingly, he falls for my charms and starts running towards me. Just as he gets to me, I pick him up and hoist him high into the air - all the while the two of us giggling away like madmen.

As I bring him back down into my arms, he has this big happy grin on his face. He looks so happy and so cute. On the spur of the moment, I decide to give him a big sloppy kiss. I bend forward to kiss him on his cheek. However, just before I get there, he turns his head and I almost end up giving him mouth to mouth!

Luckily, I managed to stop my momentum. Seeing as he was too cute not to kiss, I try again, and successfully land a big sloppy and noisy kiss on his cheek. Being the object of my affection, Gerry is naturally very happy - however, his reaction is completely unexpected.

He deliberately bends forward and kisses me on the cheek - not just any kiss, but a big noisy sloppy kiss. To say I was ecstatic was to understate things. I felt like grabbing Gerry and dancing round the carpark. Instead, I turned the other cheek and he kissed that cheek as well!

Gerry's first ever kiss - and he gave it to me.
:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

too bad >:(

Jokemeister said...

Don't feel bad - I'm sure he loves you too.
:p

Anonymous said...

oh this is soooo touching.

I remember similar incidents with my little sister. Such an angel in the past; and such an evil now.

naah....