Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Apple Mac

Ever since Apple announced that they were using Intel Core Duo processors, I have been paying more attention to Apple Mac computers. I've always liked the Apple Mac (I actually first used the Apple Mac before I used a PC - many years ago though) and this announcement made me pay attention. You see, currently, I prefer the PC for 3 main reasons:

1. PCs offer more upgradeability

However, in practice I hardly ever upgrade my PC. Normally, when I buy a PC, I set a budget and then get the best PC that I can afford within that budget. This normally results in a PC that will last me several years without the need for an upgrade - at which point, I just scrap the PC and buy a new one. So point 1 isn't really valid.

2. PCs offer better gaming (Have you ever heard of a Mac gamer? Yes? But have you ever seen one!?)

However, I understand that the next Mac OS will allow you to boot in either Windows or Mac OS. Furthermore, the Windows mode isn't a virtual Windows environment (which would really suck for gaming) - its an actual boot in Windows OS hence there will be no performance downgrade when using Windows. IF, and this is a big if, this is true, then point 2 is no longer valid either.

3. Its easier to fix a PC

If points 1 and 2 above are no longer valid, this is the sole remaining reason for my hesitation in getting a Mac. If anything goes wrong with your Mac, my understanding is that you have to go to an authorised Apple store (of course, this could just be FUD - if so, please let me know). With a PC, getting someone to fix it is easy - there are loads of shops in HK which will fix PCs although in practice, I will just go back to the shop I bought the PC from (my PC is custom built by a friend of a friend).

The key thing is - I have options. Options which I don't have with a Mac. How important is this reason? To be honest, I don't know. I have never dealt with Apple customer service so I have no idea how good or bad they are. However, reading articles like this and this really don't make me any more comfortable about switching to a Mac.

No comments: