Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Instincts

I'm a firm believer that the subconcious mind picks up and processes a lot of data that your conscious mind doesn't (while doing it much more quickly to boot). Subsequently, your subconscious passes this info on to you via your instincts. As such, I tend to trust my instincts.

Of course, being a typical boorish guy, my conscious mind can only contemplate 2 things so its not like I have much choice (in case you're wondering, those 2 things are food and sex - and not necessarily in that order!).

This manifested itself recently when I was playing F.E.A.R. on my X360. I only recently acquired this game although I had played a little on my brother's PC when I was in Singapore. You can check out my initial thoughts on the PC version here (I'll post my thoughts on the X360 version later). I know I promised to keep my gaming comments in my gaming blog but bear with me.

I was in a shootout with a bunch of super-soldiers (doing quite a good job too, thank you very much). There are a couple of them holed up in a large room and I occasionally step out from cover and drill one with bullets. However, at some point, my instincts kick in. For some reason, I am 100% sure that there are bad guys behind me (and its not because I got shot in the back).

I spin around and sure enough, there is a soldier who circled around behind me and is about to shoot me. Quickly activating my bullet time, I manage to take him down before he does any serious damage to me. However, afterwards, I got to thinking - how did I know he was there?

Thinking back on it now, I can spot the various clues which gave it away. For example:
  • the faint sound of footsteps from the speaker;
  • a yell of "flank him" from the soldiers earlier on in the battle;
  • a couple of soldiers running around inside the room - but not running at me;
  • an ambush in a similar situation before when I was playing this game in Singapore.

Looking at the clues above, it is obvious that I was about to be shot in the back. But when I was playing, I didn't have time to slowly analyse the situation. All I had was a split second where my instincts were telling me to turn around.

And I trusted them.

No comments: