Monday, March 26, 2007

Game journalism

Over on my game blog, I have finally posted my review of Gears of War. I will be honest and say that I can't believe how difficult it has been to write a game review.

When I first started my games blog, it was mainly an area for me to write game reviews and talk about gaming issues and the game experiences that I have had. The reason that I put it in a separate blog was to segregate it from this blog as most of my friends aren't really into videogames - hence they wouldn't be interested in reading about them. Thus a separate blog allows me to voice my opinion while still keeping my main blog relatively interesting for non gamers.

Now, as I said above, one of the features of my game blog was going to be game reviews. The blog itself was started in January and my review of the game Gears of War was one of the first thngs I started to write. We are now nearing the end of March - 2 months later.

Clearly, I don't have the skills to be a video game journalist.

Having said that, trying to write a game review has really boosted my respect for gaming journalists and journalists in general. I don't play that many games (despite what my wife says!) and the games I do play are generally meticulously researched before I buy them. I read lots of game reviews before buying a game and I have always enjoyed reading other peoples reviews.

Their ability to make the review interesting and informative at the same time is truly incredible. Even more so now that I realise how hard it is.

Now, more than ever, I really miss Greg Kasavin.

No comments: