Wednesday, February 21, 2007

I hate new shoes!

Before I get lampooned by the shopaholics amongst you (B - I'm talking about you!), I should clarify that I don't hate the idea of new shoes. As in, I don't hate having new stuff. I don't even hate shopping for new shoes (although being a typical boorish bloke, the idea of shopping generally sends cold shivers of fear down my spine).

What I hate is the process of wearing new shoes - the pain you go through until the leather gets worn in. I recently bought 2 new pairs of shoes to wear to work - hence the leather on the shoes is very new and shiny - and very hard. My poor feet are still reeling from the assault upon their soft tender skin!

By now, the readers from HK are probably scratching their heads in bemusement. Thats right, I bought some new shoes despite the fact that it's chinese new year. Everytime I buy shoes at CNY, I always get laughed at by everyone I know.

In HK, buying new shoes at CNY is considered bad luck - based on the fact the word "shoes" in cantonese sound like you are sighing. ie buy shoes at CNY and you will be sighing all year round.

However, riddle me this, batfans! if buying shoes is such bad luck, why are all the shoe stores open and selling shoes at such large discounts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why shoe shops open and selling with high discounts? Elementary my dear fat boy, elementary.

Since its Hong Kong, they'll open so that they can make any money they can. And since its bad luck, they'll need to discount so that the people will be tempted to overcome their superstition....

Jokemeister said...

No shit, sherlock!
:p