Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Remote blogging

As you know, I am currently in Shanghai - which makes it really difficult to manage my blog. The problem is that blogs are blocked by the company so I can't access my blog from my work PC. Basically, the only way I can access my blog if I'm on the road is if I goto an internet cafe - which I have no intention of doing as I need to save money.

So how am I writing this blog entry?

Luckily, blogger is quite a good service in that it allows me to blog via e-mail. I believe I mentioned this before - unfortunately, I can't check as I don't have access to my blog :p. By sending my blog entry to a particular email address, it will automatically post the entry onto my blog. Pretty groovy right?

Of course, the downside to this is that even though I can create new blog entries, I can't check my blog for comments. I call this a downside but in practice, its not such a big deal as my blog isn't exactly inundated with witty repartee....
(and yes, I'm blaming you for that :p)

The real downside is that I can't use any of the more advanced functionality of blogger. For example, I can't fiddle with the font or create hyperlinks to interesting articles. I also can't post photos or videos (new function in blogger beta allows video blogging).

Its funny, but I never realised how good the blogger system is until I was forced to blog via email ala today. I guess its true what they say - you never appreciate something until you are forced to make do without it.

No comments: