Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Star Trek: The Next Generation - Encounter at Farpoint

I can't remember if I have said this before, but I am a Star Trek fan. My first exposure to the Star Trek franchise was the Star Trek: The Next Generation series. Can you believe that ST:TNG first aired in 1987? I wasn't even a teenager at that point!

Anyway, I recently managed to get hold of the complete 7 seasons of ST:TNG and watched the pilot episode (Encounter at Farpoint) with my wife. I have seen all of the ST:TNG episodes before so I know how these characters end up (in terms of character development). However, this is the first time that I have rewatched the pilot.

What really strikes me as fascinating is looking at how "clumsy" the characters are in the pilot. Obviously, this is because it is the pilot and everyone is still figuring out who the characters are, how they will interact with each other etc etc. Also, you can tell that the producers don't have a clear idea yet of how to develop a good story for TV - for example, the pacing (way too much exposition) isn't very good.

Having said that, I still enjoyed the pilot very much (can't say the same for Sarah!). Perhaps its because I know what the series will develop into, given time. Maybe I can find the pilot interesting because I know how all these characters and stories will develop, given time, into a fantastic sci-fi TV show. I can see the future and it is good.

Or maybe its just cos I'm a geek.

No comments: