Friday, May 4, 2007

Eating out in China

As my regular readers know, I travel quite often to China. While I'm there, I get HK$200 per day which is used to cover all our travel and food expenses (except for travel to and from the airport).

In order to avoid eating fast food, I would normally either eat in the hotel or go to a reasonably large restaurant. However, as you can imagine, this is quite expensive. In order to offset the cost, and keep within my budget of HK$200 per day, I would take some meals at a small local restaurant (prices in these small restaurants are incredibly cheap - just a couple of dollars for a meal!).

However, I think it might be time to reconsider my diet. This article talks about how some China street vendors take leftover food from trash bins and resell them to customers. eww... gross!

Although the article is very specific about the fact that it is street vendors, I really don't want to take a risk with some of the local restaurants especially considering how cheap they are. To be honest, the only reason I ate at such small local stores was because I wanted to save some money.

Looking at that article, I think I would rather spend the extra.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i went to the Thai food place with a friend. The food is expensive but is quite authentic. I am sure they use Thai Rice instead of Mainland Rice. It costs $100 per head (excluding drinks - turned out that the coconut drink costs $37 each). Let go there when u come again.

Jokemeister said...

$37 for a coconut!

Blimey - I hope it was nice!

Anonymous said...

it fact it is not so good; it is almost tasteless.

Jokemeister said...

Is that why you considered the place authentic?
:p