Sunday, January 28, 2007

Target audience

I got asked today why I was creating this blog. My initial response was "Didn't you read the first post?".

However, it turned out the question was more in vein of who I expected to read this blog. She was also kind enough to point out that I didn't get any visitors as no-one was commenting. grr.

Of course, I immediately got very defensive and said that based on the site meter, lots of people were reading my blog. Including someone from the UK (thx for the kind comments man!). However, it did get me thinking about who I am writing this blog for. As with any creative endeavor, it behooves (luv that word!) the author to consider the target audience.

So who am I writing this for?

Is it for my friends? As a way for us to keep in touch through my random thoughts? Or to share the latest photos of my son? Not really - if I wanted to get in touch with my friends, I would email or call them.

Is it for Joe Public then? Again, not really. I don't have any agenda I'm trying to push (check out this blog for a good example - Mahesh: Hope you get your money back!). And quite frankly, I'm too egotistical to really care what Joe Public thinks.

So, who's left. ME of course! After due deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that this blog is written by me for me. It's just a way for me to vent and rant. Plus, putting my thoughts into writing is a good way to ensure that they are well structured. If nothing else, its a good way for me to practice my writing skills and use big fancy words that I normally wouldn't get to use (can you find all the 5 syllable words in this post?).

Unfortunately, this also raises a small issue. The style of my writing is very conversational. If this blog is written for me, does this mean that I am talking to myself? Am I crazy? Have I finally gone off the deep end?

Hold that thought - I need to answer the door - there are a couple of people in white lab coats outside.

No comments: