Tuesday, January 30, 2007

He almost died!! (Part 2)

A couple of days ago, I blogged about a ticket agent at Southwest Airlines. Click here if you want to refresh your memory on what I wrote.

You may be interested to note that there is now an update to that article which you can read here.

When I wrote my original blog on this, I deliberately didn't comment on Southwest Airlines as a Company. There was a reason for this. I wanted to see what they would do about this situation.

You see, I don't have any problem with their general policy of requiring large people to buy an extra ticket. I think its fair game to pay extra if you take up more than your alloted airspace. The problem I have is with the ticket agent who was completely inflexible in following the rules. Although rules should generally be followed, to do so without considering any extenuating circumstances is just stupid. If you're not going to think, then I may as well replace you with a robot.

In the original article, it mentioned that Becky, a Southwest Airlines ticket agent in another location, eventually paid for the extra ticket out of her own pocket (Becky - you are a great and compassionate person!). The fact that someone else in this Company was willing to do this speaks volumes about the Company.

Now, Southwest Airlines have stated that they will issue a formal apology, refund the cost of the extra ticket and throw in four ticket vouchers. Regardless of whether Richard will ever use those ticket vouchers, I am happy that the Company made this gesture.

It indicates that they know one of their employees screwed up - and they took action to remedy the situation as best they could.

No comments: