Saturday, January 27, 2007

Rude Goldberg type machines

A friend sent me some links to some videos of Rude Goldberg type machines created in Japan. Check them out:

Rude Goldberg type machines

I love watching these types of videos - it just never gets old. Whats incredible is the level of physics on display - all created using normal everyday stuff (you can see lots of books, bookends, plastic spoons etc). Some of the machines are incredibly complex and sensitive.

I wonder how they build these. Do these guys use trial and error to get the timing and strength just right? Or are they really good physicists and work it all out using formulas? I suspect they aren't physicists - but if not, how long would it take to build one of these using trial and error! Or is there a secret method that I don't know about?

(btw - does anyone know what the japanese text that keeps popping up mean?)

Watching these videos always makes me wonder - if I had the skill to create one of these machines, what would I build? I probably wouldn't want to build stuff just for the purpose of entering a compo unless it was a really good prize. The kind of stuff I would do would be more practical - eg, something to auto toast bread and then "jam" it!

If you ever watched Wallace & Gromit - you will know exactly what I mean. Wallace has a machine that prepares toast - and just as its ready and pops out of the toaster, it gets hit by a dollop of flying jam! All he has to do is press a button. Now thats a useful invention!!

Of course, I don't have the skill or creativity to do this so I have to settle for the second best option. Hire a maid to do it for me! :)


Update: The original videos have been removed from You Tube (terms of use violation). As such I have replaced the links with a link to a general search on You Tube.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bro - FYI - the links no longer work - videos have been removed from YouTube...