Monday, January 29, 2007

Eating habits and pyt's

I'm a pig.

I don't mean that I was born in the year of the Pig. Nor do I mean physically - otherwise I'd be a pretty smart pig; even smarter than Wilbur (from Charlotte's Web - now a major motion picture!!).

I mean I eat like a pig.

When people eat, they always have a favourite method (whether they realise it or not). Some people always take a sip of water before starting - just to wet their mouth and clear the taste buds in preparation of the upcoming feast. They would then pick up their chopsticks, spoon, fork or whatever and pick up a bite-sized piece of whatever food they are eating. The food then goes into the mouth and they chew away, all the while savouring the taste sensation, before finally swallowing.

The only commonality between those people and myself is the eating utensil. Any food placed in front of me tends to get devoured in a mad orgy of gnashing teeth and whirling chopsticks. At that point, I am become a lean, mean, eating machine. Okay, maybe not so lean - but you get the idea.

Despite this Tasmanian Devil approach to eating, I do a very good job of getting all the food into my mouth. Today was the exception.

Today, I went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch. As part of the set lunch, we also received a chawanmushi. For those unfamiliar with Japanese food, Chawanmushi is a steamed egg custard normally served in what looks like a tea cup - the texture is very smooth and it is very delicious. If you have never had it before, I definitely recommend you order one next time you are in a Japanese restaurant.

Now, as I said earlier, chawanmushi is smooth. Very smooth. So smooth in fact, that as the spoon was heading towards that gaping maw that I call my mouth, a large dollop of egg custard slipped out and landed on my trousers (in a very uncomfortable spot too!).

Being the seasoned eater that I am, I immediately sprung into action! Whipping out a handkerchief, I quickly brushed off the large dollop of egg. Unfortunately, I was too late. The egg had already left a large stain on the front of my trousers. A large white stain (I can only imagine what people were thinking when they saw that large white stain on the front of my trousers!).

This in itself isn't so bad. However, in a fit of beautiful timing, my boss decides that today is a good day to give a couple of young Uni students (one of whom is a very cute little pyt) an office tour. Being the nice person that she is, she stops at my desk to arrange an introduction.

I spent the next 10 minutes making casual conversation while trying to hide the hideous white stain on the front of my trousers! Meanwhile, my boss is trying to sell the idea of joining our company to these young hopefuls.

Somehow, I doubt we'll ever see them again.

No comments: