Monday, August 23, 2010

University tuition rates

I've said before that one of the advantages of growing up in the UK was that the British Government paid for my education. However, in researching whether this benefit will be available to my kids, I came across an interesting realisation - that first statement of mine may not be true for all UK citizens.

First off, I should say that all comments below are based on my current research. I have no idea what the position was like when my brother and I went to University (I guess I can ask my dad next time I talk to him).

So, it turns out that the proper terminology for the different University tuition fees are "home" rates and "overseas" rates. Growing up in Scotland like I did, I would have been paying the "home" rate. In the case of my alma mater (ie the University of Strathclyde), the "home" rate is actually zero for Scottish-domiciled students (whereas Sassenach's will need to pay a fee).

Which makes me wonder if my brother, who went to some posh University in England, actually had to pay a tuition fee? Or, as is more likely, whether my dad had to pay a fee?

Not quite the free ride I initially thought. Still, considering the heavy discount on "home" rates compared to "overseas" rates, the British Government is footing the majority of the bill so still highly generous.

Anyway, the bigger question behind all this is whether my kids will be able to enjoy "home" tuition rates. Unfortunately, the answer would appear to be no. Rules for determining eligibility for "home" rates in England, Wales or Northern Ireland is here while the rules for those studying in Scotland is here.

While there are two different sets of rules, the broad themes are the same. In particular, there appear to be two major stumbling blocks to my kids claiming "home" tuition rates.

First, they would have to be ordinarily resident in the UK for the full three years prior to the start of the course. Unless my kids go to school in the UK, this criterion isn't likely to be met. In addition, during that 3 year period, the main purpose of residence in the UK must not have been for the purpose of receiving full-time education. In other words, even if the kids went to school in the UK, they would still not be legible for "home" rates if they were only in the UK for the purpose of going to school.

So, as I said above, it seems likely that my kids won't be able to claim "home" tuition rates.

Pity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know. Thanks for looking this up - looks like we'll have to think of other plans for the kids...

Jokemeister said...

I know what you mean. I've been dreaming up all kinds of crazy ideas for how we can get around the rules.

eg having a major "argument" and "falling out" with the kids just before they start secondary school and then sending them to leave with their granda'

:D