Thursday, August 19, 2010

My to do list

I currently have three very important tasks on my to do list.

1) Find out if Gerry and Gordon can attend University in the UK for free
One of the benefits of growing up in the UK was that my education was paid for by the British Government (or the British people depending on your point of view).  However, will Gerry and Gordon be able to avail themselves of this benefit if they decide to study in the UK?  Is British citizenship enough for them to get a free pass or are there other requirements?

2) Check out the classified section of the newspaper for job listings
I need to identify some nice jobs that Gerry may be interested in based on his current interests and find out the skill set that those jobs require.  With this in mind, we can then start planning the kind of extra-curricular activities that Gerry should get involved in.  This will allow us to "sell" him on those activities early so that he can have a head start in building up certain key skills which will be relevant to him in future.  For example, getting him involved in speech competitions will help build his presentation skills which is important no matter which career he ultimately chooses.

3) Find out whether my grandkids are eligible for British citizenship
Both Gerry and Gordon can claim British citizenship on the basis that I am a British citizen (and in fact, Gerry has already done so).  However, in some countries, this only applies for one generation - so if the UK follows this rule, then my grandkids would not be eligible for British citizenship.  What I need to do is find out if the UK follows this rule and if so, what we can do to counter it.



Oh - one last point.  One of the above tasks is a joke - can you guess which one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd be interested to find out your answer to 1) - I think they are eligible as British Citizens.

As for 3), my memory is that the pass down of citizenship is only for 1 generation, unless your kids get their citizenship through another method e.g. by being born and therefore naturalized in uk. Will be interesting to see what you find out on this one too...