Monday, August 16, 2010

The Premiership starts anew

Hoozah - the new Premiership season is underway and, despite "only" managing a draw against Arsenal in the opening game, there is hope that Liverpool will do much better than they did last year. More importantly, this is a good opportunity to plug another website which I enjoy reading but which I haven't yet mentioned on this blog.

Which website is that? Zonal Marking of course!

Zonal Marking is a website dedicated to analysing the different football tactics which teams use. I first started reading this site after I realised that the match engine in FM2010 was good enough that tactical nuances could be analysed and then exploited. The problem was that my lack of knowledge re football tactics meant that I didn't know how to analyse or exploit opposition tactics.

Naturally, the first thing I did was to jump onto the forums at sigames to start reading forum posts on favoured tactics. However, one thing very quickly became clear. There was no super tactic that would always work. The key was in finding the right tactics for your players, having squad depth so that you could change the way your team played by using subs and then using all this to exploit opposition gaps. Easier said that done - as I said above, I didn't know how to do this.

Luckily for me, one of the posts had a more general discussion of football tactics which included a link to Zonal Marking. I started reading ZM last season and the in-depth analysis it provides is a great way to better understand what is happening on the pitch and why the players are doing what they are doing.

Definitely recommended reading for footie fans (irrespective of whether you play FM2010 or not!).

No comments: