Thursday, January 28, 2010

The iPad

With all the hullaballoo surrounding the announcement of the new iPad, I thought I would add to all the noise by putting my own thoughts out there. By the way, if you haven't heard about the iPad yet, then just think of it as the next piece of fancy technology that everyone will be surprised that I don't have...

That's right - just to make my position clear up front - I have no intention of getting the iPad. Frankly, at this moment in time, it looks like a giant iPod Touch (which I had no interest in either). Don't get me wrong - I think it looks like a really nice piece of kit and, judging from comments by techgeek friends that they couldn't wait to buy one despite not actually knowing what they would use it for, I'm guessing that it will probably be a commercial success.

The problem for me is nicely outlined in this article (which I found via Techdirt - luv that site!). In brief, like some of Apple's other products, the iPad is a closed system - which for me is a major deal killer. Bear in mind, I didn't like that the iPhone used a closed system either but that was just a smartphone. It seems like the iPad is being pitched as a possible alternative to PCs, in particular netbooks, and there is no way in hell that I am going to accept a closed platform for something like that. If nothing else, the whole issue with Google Voice on the iPhone convinces me that using a closed system is just not consumer friendly.

And when you factor in that the initial iPad won't be able to multi-task? Seriously? Considering that the basic price point is US$499 (and that only gives you a wifi enabled iPad), I might as well just get a netbook.

One last point. I found this article to be really entertaining. The guy seems to believe that the iPad will end up killing off the PC. Yeah. Lets just say that I suspect the PC will still be around in 5 years whereas the iPad will be dead in its second (killed off by the second generation iPad to be released next year!!!).

All joking aside, the author in that article is trying to say that the tablet computer as an idea means the death of PCs and the iPad is worth singling out due to the popularity surrounding it (and for which other tablets haven't managed to gain). In my opinion, if you want to use this argument, you may as well say that the Star Trek franchise killed off the PC when it introduced the PADD and got people thinking about tablet PCs in the first place.

Here's a prediction for you.

Tablet PCs (and stuff like the iPad if you don't want to think of it as a Tablet) won't ever kill off the PC - it will just change the way we interact with it. The problem is that by trading in the small form factor of the Tablet, you give up the major processing power which the desk based PC gives you. Even as technology improves and we miniaturize more powerful chips, this only means that the desk based PC will either be even more powerful still or, if it has the same power, more budget friendly (due to it not needing such advanced manufacturing techniques). The only way that I can see you getting around this is if processing power eventually gets to the stage where we no longer need more of it (although I will be the first to admit that I'm no expert on this and am probably way off base).

In my opinion, what is more likely is that we will eventually get to a stage where bandwidth won't be an issue and everyone is permanently online via some kind of wireless system. By then, Tablets will just become dumb terminals which are used to wirelessly access your PC regardless of where it is physically stored (that or some form of cloud processing). This gives you the small form factor of a Tablet while still having major processing power.

And that is something I would love to see!

Update: Scott Adams nailed it in terms of my reaction to the iPad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that there is a mishmash of concepts here by those authors.

To argue tablet computer vs PC isn't really correct PC (personal computer) stands for any concept where the processing power is decentralized to the user (hence the "personal" in PC). The idea of PC came up as a contrast to mainframes, ie where the processing power is centralized. Therefore, I see tablet computers as a PC too, but just as a different form factor. Thus, arguing if tablet can kill PC is erroneous, as tablet IS a PC be definition. The more correct argument, as you rightly point out, is whether tablet can kill the desktop form factor, and I'd agree with you that this is highly unlikely, just like laptops did not kill off desktops. Now, the better question may be whether tablets can kill off laptops...

Now, Pc vs cloud computing is another fight altogether and is much more correct in terms of thinking about competing concepts. Cloud computing is in some ways moving back to the "mainframe" idea, where processing power (and even storage) is centralized. If cloud computing does take over, then tablet/laptop/desktop (as PCs, not as form factors) would all of course change to dumb terminals as you mention. But again, I'd want a much bigger, cheaper dumb terminal (i.e. desktop vs laptop/tablet) if I didn't need portability.

Jokemeister said...

Good point about the Tablet and iPad being, by definition, a PC. It maybe wasn't clear in my post but when I was making the argument of Tablet vs PC, I was really thinking of PC as a desktop.

Re Tablets vs Laptops - I actually think they cater to a different market. Just like netbooks wont kill off laptops as its fundamentally catering to a different market.

Re cloud computing and the desktop form factor. In the imaginary sci-fi world that I dreamt up in the post, there really would be no use for the desktop form factor. The likely situation is that you would have a PADD which is your mobile interface. And if you needed a bigger interface, you would go directly to your mainscreen (which would also double as your TV and may or may not have a smaller PADD or keyboard to go with it).

Anonymous said...

Re: the cloud computing example - you've just described a situation where the desktop and TV have converged. Its still your "desktop" i.e. a larger, more immovable interface, rather than rely solely on a tablet or laptop sized "terminal" for your cloud computing needs.

Jokemeister said...

Seriously? You are going to use that as your definition of desktop?

By that reasoning, the current gen consoles are also desktops. Even if I discount hacking, the PS3 can run a program from SETI which helps analyse data using spare processing capacity of the console.

Both consoles have optional keyboards that you can purchase to make it easier to send messages to others. And the X360 even has Twitter, Facebook and Netflix on its service.

Or, you could just go web-browsing as the Wii gives you internet access. This is all standard out of box functionality.

All of these could arguably be called PCs using the definition of PC that we used before. But I don't think that anyone would call them a desktop.

With that said, having put some more thought into it, you might still have a desktop form factor if you had a home office. However, in this case, I think the benefit is in terms of having an office like environment which (for me) makes it easier to get in the "work" frame of mind.

Anonymous said...

You've got an interesting point there, which I want to take further! :)

I think the reason nobody would call them desktops at this point in time, is because desktops are currently synonymous with PCs. If we get far enough into a cloud computing future, there's no reason why even your consoles could not be purely dumb devices, with the games (ie software) and the processing power in a cloud.

Actually, if you think about it, once you take the cloud computing route, there is almost no difference between a dumb terminal that was supposed to be a "desktop" and a dumb terminal that is acting as your "console". They would both be simple i/o devices with whatever size screen you need...

Jokemeister said...

Dumb consoles where the games are in the cloud? At least I know you have heard of OnLive.

I see your point re the desktop vs console. I guess the only difference would be the form factor. Or in this case, the size of the screen - a small handheld PADD, a 60" TV/PADD and a 22" monitor/PADD mounted at head height over a desk?