Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Review of Phantom Menace (not by me)

As you all know, I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I loved the original trilogy and, even now, can probably retell the story of the original trilogy at a moments notice. It goes without saying that I have the original trilogy on DVD and used to have them on VHS as well.

Unfortunately, as with many Star Wars fans, I wasn't particularly impressed with The Phantom Menace or the new trilogy in general, although I will admit that I kinda liked the third movie. The biggest indicator of my lack of interest is that I have no compulsion to buy the new trilogy - at all. For me, the only thing that makes Phantom Menace worth rewatching is the special effects and lightsaber combat scenes and that just ain't worth spending money on (although maybe I should buy them anyway so I have a copy of the movies before George Lucas makes them even worse by re-editing them).

Anyway, back to the point. For myself, I just didn't like the characters (absolutedly hated Jar Jar and "Ani") and felt the storyline, and the ending in particular, was just ridiculous. However, beyond that, I've never been able to really articulate why the movie didn't resonate with me.

Now I can.

I can't believe that I've only just come across this but this is by far the best review of Phantom Menace that I've seen so far. The review itself lasts 70 minutes so its really detailed and it does wander off into ... strange ... territory occasionally. However, I couldn't help but find myself constantly nodding my head in agreement as I was watching it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

70 minute review??!!?? Nah, don't think I'll be watching that...

Jokemeister said...

hehe - guess I can't blame you for that.
:)