Monday, March 17, 2008

Hong Kong is small

Despite living in HK for over a decade, I sometimes forget how small HK actually is. And then there are days like today which help remind me.

Sometime ago, I had gone to an italian restaurant near SoHo with a friend called Steve (not his real name - however, this story has a lot of people involved so we'll call him Steve so its easier to keep track of people!). Although the place wasn't fantastic or anything, the food was okay and not too expensive ($80 for a set meal including the tip). In short, the kind of place that I would return to.

So today, I go back to that italian restaurant with Steve and another of our friends called David. As we near the place, David says, "I think I've been here before. Melinda brought me here once."

Steve looks at David and says "Really! It was me who brought Melinda here!"

At this point, we kinda all laugh at the coincidence. However, halfway through the meal, Steve's girlfriend shows up.

That's right! Steve had also taken his girlfriend there as well - and she chose today to bring one of her friends to the place!

As I said above, HK is a small place. It's amazing how easily you can run into people you know and how quickly word of mouth about a restaurant can spread.

No comments: