Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Carrot cake

As I mentioned on Monday, the missus and I went out to Chesa for our Valentine's day dinner. However, over the weekend, I put on my Delia Smith hat again and baked a carrot cake. Not just any carrot cake but a low fat carrot cake! I'm so healthy...

Actually, I was quite worried as I was making the carrot cake. Up till now, the various baking that I've done has been very simple - bung all the ingredients together, mix and then bake. However, the carrot cake is a bit more complex as you have to separately make the topping and also the syrup glaze.

And then, when the cake was baking, it really didn't look like a carrot cake. All in all, when I took my first bite, I was very worried about the outcome. Luckily, the cake turned out okay and tasted quite nice.

I wouldn't say I was 100% satisfied with the results though. The cake was a bit darker and also a bit more dense than a carrot cake should be. I suspect this is because the recipe was for a low fat carrot cake hence the texture was a bit off. It probably didn't help that I also cut back on some of the less healthy ingredients. I guess this is the price you pay for a "low fat" cake.

Anyway, here is a picture of the finished product. The cherries weren't actually in the recipe. However, a friend of mine joined us for dinner that night and he brought some cherries with him. Very fortunate for us as the cherries went very well with the carrot cake.



Another picture of the cake taken from a higher angle. You can see that my knife work is a bit poor as the topping is a little off. Still, at least it gives it that home baked feel!


Here is 1 portion of the cake. If you look closely, you can see the carrot strands. Still not sure why the cake is so much darker than normal carrot cake though.


Naturally, we gave some to Gerry. He really liked the topping. He has an extremely sweet tooth - just like his mum.


Another picture of Gerry and the carrot cake.
:)

No comments: