Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Britons and history

This is just sad.

For those with a phobia of clicking links, here is a quick summary. Basically, UKTV conducted a survey in the UK of 3,000 people. The survey consisted of asking these people whether they thought certain people (for example, Sherlock Holmes) were real or not. According to the survey, 58% of people believe that Sherlock Holmes actually existed...

As I said above, that is just sad.

As you know, I am educated in Britain. I have always believed that the British education system is one of the best in the world (not that I'm biased or anything!). And then I read an article like this and think - the state of education in Britain must really be dropping.

But then, like a flash of genius, something occurs to me! The article says that they surveyed 3,000 people. I'm guessing they just grabbed 3,000 random people on the street and asked them questions. Obviously, the people running the survey deliberately skewed the results by going to a neighbourhood with lots of neds (or their equivalent)!

Clearly, Britons can't be that stupid!
(Hooray for cognitive dissonance!)

No comments: