Thursday, May 14, 2009

Stranger than fiction

The funniest thing happened to me on Sunday (ha - I bet you thought this post would be about the movie!).

The missus and I decided to take Gordon out rather than having him cooped up at home all the time. We decided to go to Elements, the big shopping mall at Kowloon station. The main reason for this is that the shopping mall currently has a great deal on parking where we could effectively park for free with just a little spending. Naturally, we decided to take full advantage of this promotion by staying there all day ...

By the time it got to late afternoon, I was quite tired so we decided to take a quick rest on one of the sofa's in the shopping mall. While the missus looked after the baby, I closed my eyes to take a quick nap.

"Ooh, look! This baby is quite fat!"

This came from a female voice quite close by. Seeing as Gordon is indeed quite big, I guessed that the speaker was talking about my boy and so I opened my eyes. Sure enough, there is a lady looking down at Gordon and talking to the missus.

"How old is he?" she asked to which the missus replied "Four months."

"Ooh, our baby is five months." she said before turning to the guy next to her and saying, "look, he's smiling at me!".

At this point, she turns around and starts to leave. Just before they go, I flick a glance at the baby but don't really get a good view as I was sitting down. I then flick a glance at the guy for whom I can only see the profile as he isn't looking at me and then I close my eyes and go back to sleep.

Two seconds later, I bolt upright and ask the missus "Was that Duncan?" (names changed to protect the innocent!).

"Who?" She asked.

"Duncan Lee. You know, that colleague of ours."

"I don't know," she said, "I don't know him."

We got up and wandered around the mall to see if we could find him again but he and the lady had disappeared. As soon as I got back to the office, I got in touch with Duncan to confirm. Sure enough, that was him.

In effect, his wife (who I and the missus don't know) met and talked to my wife (who he and his missus doesn't know) and this all happened while Duncan and I were right there and neither of us noticed the other!

After this, I will never joke about how ridiculous the coincidences in modern chick flicks are!

No comments: