Thursday, July 9, 2009

Owen to Man Utd?

Its been a funny summer for premiership football this year. At times, it's felt like a very quiet summer with very little transfer activitiy. And then comes news that Michael Owen has joined Manchester United.

Wow. I didn't see that one coming at all.

Don't get me wrong - I still think Owen can play in the premiership even though he is injury prone (despite his protestations to the contrary, I think any objective analysis of his injury time will agree). However, I have serious doubts as to whether he can play at the level that Man Utd will require of him.

Still, considering that Owen is on a free transfer, I'm sure Fergie is smart enough to make sure that Owen's wages are primarily in the form of bonuses for goals and appearances etc. Still, as a former Liverpool player, I wish him luck (but not in the matches against Liverpool obviously!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fuck that - nothing against him personally, but he's now with ManUre so I don't wish him ANY luck at all, whether it be against Liverpool or any other team.

BTW: as one of my friends said - "so they lost Ronaldo and Tevez and replaced with Valencia and Owen...classic!!!" :)

Jokemeister said...

Yeah, I think Man Utd will struggle this season. Valencia is really a player more for the future than for now and Owen looks more like a backup striker.

Even if Owen bangs in 10+ goals (admittedly, he could well do this with the better midfielders that Man Utd have), its still a very poor substitute for the combined goals and creativity of Tevez and Ronaldo.