Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My psychological profile according to Scott Adams

Here's something interesting. As you know, I'm a big fan of Scott Adams (love reading Dilbert and his blog posts are interesting as well. Recently, Scott Adams went through his old blog posts to see which ones got the highest ratings from readers and compiled a psych profile of his average reader based on that info. In other words, if I was an average Scott Adams fan, I:
  1. am curious about how things work;
  2. value function over form;
  3. like solving problems (even if they aren't my own);
  4. am argumentative;
  5. like pets;
  6. have at least one parent who is intellectual;
  7. place a high value on education;
  8. think people control their own success;
  9. have gotten in trouble for my generosity;
  10. don't trust the media;
  11. think I'm smarter than most people in my life;
  12. like trying to save time and money;
  13. have bumpy relationships;
  14. get justifiably angry a lot;
  15. wish I am funnier and more creative;
  16. have imperfect vision;
  17. don't exercise as much as I should;
  18. wonder what it would be like to be attractive;
  19. value science over superstition; and
  20. like learning.

Wow, quite a list. Out of the 20 points, 17 of them apply to me (can you guess which 17?). So, at first glance, it seems like the profile is accurate.

Having said that, looking at the list, so many of them are so general or apply to the majority of people anyway that you have to wonder whether he actually trolled through his blog posts or just decided to post a general profile up there. For example, get justifiably angry will apply to most people as very few people will get angry without some kind of (twisted) justification. Similarly, guessing that the reader has imperfect vision isn't particularly astounding considering the number of people who wear glasses.

Ultimately, I suspect his next blog post will say that this was all just an experiment in the Forer effect.

No comments: