Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bespoke babies

Well, you can finally custom order your new baby (and to be honest, I 'm surprised we haven't seen something like this before now).

Apparently, there is a clinic in Los Angeles that can use recent advances in genetics to let you choose what kind of baby you want. Want a blue eyed, blond haired baby? Go ahead (I, for one, welcome our new Master Race overlords)!

By the way, is anyone surprised that the World's largest provider of gender choice is a clinic based in the traditional home of Hollywood? Anyone? Okay - anyone other than the crickets?

I'm personally against genetic engineering of babies for any reason other than health reasons. The World is screwed up enough over petty shit like looks without doctors adding to our problems. Although admittedly, I am a big sci-fi fan and have read more than enough of my share of novels where genetic engineering gone mad has resulted in the end of the World (and that's just a best case scenario!).

On the plus side, if designer babies become popular in Japan, I guess the people there will be a lot more colorful.

No comments: