Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Lehman Brothers

As I'm sure you know by now, after the govt decided not to save Lehman Brothers, the firm has now died and stock markets around the world are in freefall.

Hurray!

As you may recall from my previous post regarding Bear Stearns, I am of the opinion that firms should face the consequences of their actions. Yes, its a shame that so many people will lose their jobs. Still, no company should be able to operate knowing that the govt will bail them out if they get in trouble.

In more distressing news, AIG is also in severe trouble. I really hope they don't go under - my insurance policy is with them!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey The world's going to hell, i blame the accountants! Fortunately i'm too skint to have any money invested in anything(actually that's not very fortunate now that i think about it).
Hey Simon, forgot to say it's Jason.
Firstly congrats on the news about the wifey and gerry 2.0 .....hope you're workin plenty of O.T. !!
and on a more threatening note.... I'm gonna be in town in nov with a few friends, so hoping to catch up if you gots the time meister? Yee Men will be in town with his wifey too... I haven't forgotten about your badminton challenge! you still playin?

Jokemeister said...

Yo Jase

Great to hear that you and Yamaca will be in town. Let me know when - definitely good to catch up.

By the way, the fact that you blame accountants tells me why you are skint - a fundamental failure in identifying risk!

Re badminton - unfortunately, I stopped playing and haven't played in well over half a year now. Still, a challenge is a challenge. If you bring your kit, I'll let you kick my ass for shit and giggles. btw - if you are in town at the same town as Yee Men, tell him to bring his gear as well.