Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Last night, TVB showed the pilot episode of T:TSCC on TV. I've always been a big fan of the Terminator franchise and I have to admit, I was looking forward to seeing this. Anyway, after watching the pilot, I thought I would post some impressions below. Don't worry though, I will refrain from mentioning any big spoilers below just in case you haven't seen it yet.

I have to admit that I wasn't very impressed during the first half of the show. At first, it feels like a cheap version of the T2 movie - with lots of ideas and set pieces almost being copied from the film. Nuclear explosion dream sequence - check. Two terminators smashing each other through walls - check. John Connor being a whiny git and saying he's not ready to be the messiah - check. I could go on - but I think you get the point.

In fact, I almost switched off after 15 minutes - the only reason I kept watching was because I'm such a big T2 fan. However, after a while, the pilot starts to branch off into its own plot and ideas and by the end of the pilot, I was actually looking forward to catching the second episode next week.

In hindsight, I guess I can understand why the first 15 minutes was deliberately (at least I think it was deliberate) almost copied from T2. Its been a long time since T2 was released and the familiar feel of the first 15 minutes was probably there to help people get back into the Terminator frame of mind.

Anyway, if you are a fan of the Terminator franchise (and really, who isn't?), then it is worthwhile watching if you get the chance.

Biggest missed opportunity from the pilot? Despite Summer Glau being naked twice, you don't get to see any T&A (and now you know why I want to catch the next episode - hope springs eternal!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've caught a few episodes of this.

Quite good from what I've seen, and Summer Glau as eye candy is a plus.

Jokemeister said...

Did you see the pilot? I actually thought it was quite clever how they moved from 1999 to 2007.