Monday, August 4, 2008

Why I don't want to go to the US

Stuff like this is why I no longer want to go to the US.

Apparently, when you go through customs in the US, federal agents have the authority to take your laptop, or any other electronic device, for an unspecified period of time without any indication of wrongdoing. Not only is this possible, but the quote below (emphasis added) indicates that it happens increasingly often:

"Civil liberties and business travel groups have pressed the government to disclose its procedures as an increasing number of international travelers have reported that their laptops, cellphones and other digital devices had been taken -- for months, in at least one case -- and their contents examined."

Quite frankly, I don't want to put up with this kind of shit. Statistically, I will probably be able to go through customs without any trouble (unless the DHS reads my blog!). However, statistics won't be much comfort on the off chance that my PC gets effectively stolen from me for several months.

To the US, I have only one thing to say - No.


Update - Can anyone tell me if this article is serious or tongue in cheek?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

United States - "Land of the Free"!
Oh well...

Re: the 2nd article on free-spending Europeans & Asians. I can well believe it, given the weakness of the US dollar. Kelly was recently saying that we should organize a holiday to the US, since it was so much cheaper now. However the long flight and the prospect of going through US customs just puts me off big style...

Jokemeister said...

I don't think you quite understood my point re the second article. I can well believe the weakness of the dollar means that non-Americans seem to be able to spend freely.

I was taking exception to the people being interviewed. For example, Ms. Snobby goes to a posh store to buy shoes and complains that she "had to sit there for 5 or 10 minutes" before she got service.

Thats her complaint? She had to wait 5 minutes to get service during a period when there was already someone being served? Jeez - where do they find these losers?