Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Deal with the devil

Gerry has been sick for the last week - fever and diarrhea. On Monday morning, he finally decided to share the love and passed it to me. I say Monday morning because I was fine on Sunday but had fever and diarrhea when I woke up on Monday.

Unfortunately, I had an urgent project to complete at work which was already late by virtue of the thunderstorm that hit Hong Kong last Friday. So, despite being feverish, I went into work. And boy, was it tough. Being sick, it was really hard to concentrate. However, I eventually finished the project and headed home. Of course, putting in a day at the office didn't exactly do my health any good.

Monday night was really bad in terms of my fever (I hit 38.5 centigrade at one stage). The really funny thing though, is the images your brain conjures up when you are semi-delirious.

In my fevered state of mind, I imagined the devil showing up and offering me a deal. I won't go into the details of the deal except to say that it involved Gerry and me sacrificing all videogaming for the rest of my life. Even in my delusional state, I knew it was a bad deal - after all, what deal with the devil isn't? However, despite this, I still found myself tempted (for Gerry's sake).

I can't remember if my deluded mind actually accepted the deal or not. Possibly, my fever broke before the scene got that far or my feverish brain moved onto another dream. In the cold light of day (and with my full faculties), I can see exactly why the offered deal was a raw deal. Still, it does make me wonder - how much would I sacrifice for Gerry?

Bonus question.
As a self professed agnostic, I find it interesting that my feverish mind conjured up the image of the devil. Can I still say I'm agnostic in this case (assuming, of course, that the devil has a counterpoint - ie God)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you aren't still delirious? :p

Interesting one - don't know the full aspects of the deal as you are quite vague. However a deal involving Gerry vs no gaming for the rest of your life may or may not be a bad deal depending on what Gerry gets for it.

However, doubt a real deal with the devil would just involve no gaming for the rest of your life...more likely it will just involve your life.... :)

Jokemeister said...

Yeah - I was deliberately vague about the deal. I may be agnostic, but I'm still highly superstitious (product of a UK upbringing?).