Thursday, August 28, 2008

Live TV

During the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, I bought a shiny new DVD recorder with a 160GB hard drive. Just in case you didn't know, DVD recorders with hard drives can pause TV while you are watching it - which is an absolutely fantastic feature (the DVDR automatically records the TV onto RAM that is cleared whenever you switch off the DVDR).

The result is that while watching the Olympics, I could take a break at any moment and, say go to the washroom, and not worry about missing anything. I would just pause the TV and then restart it after I got back. Then during the next commercial break, I could catch up to the live TV feed. Awesome!

I have to say, this really revolutionises the way that you watch TV. No longer will I have to put up with shitty commercials when watching my favourite TV show. If the show starts at 10pm, I can simply wait until 10:20 before starting to watch the replay. By the time I finish watching, and after skipping all the ads, I will have caught up with the live TV feed again (most American TV shows only last around 45 mins with the rest of the time being ads).

As I said - Awesome!

No comments: