Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Man Utd fanbois

As many of you know, I am a Liverpool fan. Despite this, I have never had the traditional hatred for Man Utd that a lot of Liverpool fans have. In fact, Man Utd is my second favourite team so I was very much rooting for Man Utd in the recent Champions Cup final in Russia. I was also very happy when they won.

Interestingly enough, I have never met a Man Utd fan who didn't dislike Liverpool. And for some reason, they all like to gloat about how Man Utd are currently the best team in the world whereas Liverpool aren't.

For example, one of my colleagues at work is a real Man Utd fanboi. He was recently gloating about Man Utd's success and in particular, he quoted Fergie saying that Fergies biggest achievement was removing the dominance of Liverpool in England. Then he launched into the usual diatribe against Liverpool and its manager. I told him this would actually mean something if it weren't for the fact that Liverpool historically are still much more successful than Man Utd (more domestic titles and more Euro titles).

He hasn't responded to that yet...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I reluctantly preferred Chelski to ManUre in the recent CL final.

I dislike Whiskeynose Ferguson's mind games and hypocrisy - going on about other teams tapping up his players when he has such a strong history of it himself, talking about respect for refs when his players are amongst the worst offenders etc

One chief reason why I hated Chelski was Moanrino. What a classless prat he was. Now that he's gone, my aversion to Chelski is a bit less, although they're still not a team I look too favourably on due to their on-field antics, and the mercenary nature of a number of their players.

In truth though, I really didn't want EITHER team to win. I also don't understand why the papers were going on about it as one of the best finals in recent history - personally it was crap with too much histrionics, bad sportsmanship and official bating from both sides.

Anyway - one thing to bolster your argument re ManUre. :
Liverpool:
- 18 league championships
- 14 domestic cups (7 FA Cups, 7 League Cups)
- 8 European honours (5 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups)

ManUre:
- 17 league championships
- 13 - domestic cups (11 FA Cups, 2 League Cups)
- 4 European honours (3 European Cups, 1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup )

ie Liverpool is still far ahead in terms of European footballing aristocracy - with the likes of Real Madrid (11 Euro honours), AC Milan and Barcelona (both 9 Euro honours).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_football_records

Jokemeister said...

hahahaha - loved your post

I didn't have the actual stats but I did know for a fact that Liverpool had more in terms of honours.

Anonymous said...

Bro - as a Liverpool fan, thought you might be interested in the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIb12aX0yks

Not sure which country its for, but its quite funny and cool, and is a reflection of the impact of our new #9.

The song they are singing is the one that the fans have made for him, to the lyrics of:

His armband proved he was a red Torres Torres,
You'll Never Walk Alone it said Torres Torres,
We bought the lad from Sunny Spain,
He gets the ball he scores again,
Fernando Torres Liverpools number 9

they sing it during the matches, especially when it scores. Pretty cool methinks.