Thursday, May 1, 2008

Chelsea 3-2 Liverpool

And just like that, Liverpool are out of the Champions Cup. Admittedly, I wasn't particularly surprised to see Chelsea reach the final after the 1-1 draw at Anfield last week. Having said that, Liverpool did manage to play a lot better than I expected. Although they didn't reach the final, they gave a fine effort and did the team proud.

Although I'm disappointed that Liverpool didn't make it to the final, I have to say that I'm very proud that we have an all English final this year. For years, people have been saying that the Premiership is the best league in the world. Despite this, English teams hardly ever won the Champions Cup. And now, not only will we have an English team lifting the cup, we have an all English final.

Wow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep - good effort by the boys.

Was gutted when I first saw how close we came, but must say that in the back of my mind I was worried about the Liverpool-ManUre final scenario.

Just imagine - 80,000 fans who hate each other, one side of which is going to be deeply unhappy at the final result (whichever way it goes), the other side of which is going to be rubbing it in mercilessly. Throw in lots of vodka, plus your Russian police (who I am sure are the model of restraint when it comes to dealing with a drunken mob), and I had visions of Liverpool (plus ManUre) being banned for another 10 years...

Bro

Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to add:

Given my nightmare scenario, I'd of course hate for it to come true in the final between ManUre and Chelski - would be a real shame if they were banned for the forseable future due to their fans kicking the crap out of each other... ahem ahem

:)

Jokemeister said...

Although I kinda see what you mean, I'm still disappointed that Liverpool didn't get to the final.

Anyway, Man Utd and Chelsea don't have the same history as Man Utd-Liverpool so I doubt there will be much trouble.

Anonymous said...

Ah - but it will be after the League title has been decided - so potentially one or other is looking at a double and will no doubt rub the other teams nose in it...

Let the games commence!