Monday, April 20, 2009

Marriott Cafe

Recently, the missus and I went to the Marriott Cafe with some of our friends which was nice as it was a rare opportunity for the missus to get out of the house. We went on the weekend and took advantage of the afternoon tea buffet.

As expected of a restaurant inside a 5-star hotel, the decor was luxurious and the service was quick, efficient and friendly (worth mentioning as you would be surprised by the number of buffet's I've been to where they don't manage to clear your old plate before you have grabbed another platter of food - hey, I eat quickly, ya know!). The food was good although I would have been happier with a bit more choice re hot food. Having said that, it was only a tea buffet and not a full lunch or dinner buffet so I guess I have no right to complain about that.

However, what really caught my eye (and made this experience blog-worthy) was the fact that they had scones with jam and clotted cream. This is amazing simply because it is the first time in Hong Kong that I have seen clotted cream. Loads of places sell scones and jam or even just scones with no jam (oh, the humanity!!). But till now, I have never seen clotted cream in HK.

For those of you not from Blighty, clotted cream is a deliciously decadent rich cream which is not only sweet but unbelievably fattening. There are various uses for clotted cream but by far the most important, is the use of clotted cream during good old English tea time.

You haven't lived until you have had some nice scones (preferably plain) ripped in half and spread with a generous dollop of clotted cream and strawberry jam. The plain taste of the scones together with the sweetness of clotted cream and the slight sour tang of strawberry jam is a heavenly combination to die for (and considering I had three of these, my cholesterol level and doctor will likely agree!).

I can't wait to go back and have three more!
:p

No comments: