Monday, December 22, 2008

Goodbye Majel

Majel Barrett Roddenberry passes away - and geeks around the world cry.


Majel has been such a huge part of Star Trek that its hard to imagine the franchise without her. In addition to the host of characters that Majel has portrayed over the years, Majel was also the voice of the Federation computer. Now, any future Star Trek's will have to have a different voice (except the upcoming Star Trek film - apparently, she was able to complete the voiceover for that before she passed away).

Although you don't always see her on screen, her voice will always be associated with Star Trek for me.

On a personal level, its a shame I never got to meet her at any of the Star Trek conventions I went to. And now, I never will.

By all accounts (and by this, I mean everyone on the forums that I've read), Majel was a great person who made a real effort to really enjoy the conventions and the interaction with fans. The sad reality is that not every actor makes this much of an effort.

No comments: